top of page
Low Dutch Church of Klyne Esopus.jpg

Who We Are

Our Story

Welcome to Klyne Esopus Historical Society Museum. We are housed in the former Klyne Esopus Reformed Dutch Church.  The building, constructed in 1827, replaced a smaller building built in 1792 originally located 1000 ft. to the north.  The church closed in 1965. The governing body of the church scheduled the building for demolition. Faced with this reality, the former members of the congregation and the larger community rallied to preserve the building.  In 1969, a group known as the Klyne Esopus Historic Preservation Committee formed. Formal incorporation of the group took place in 1970.  After 17 years of fundraisers, repairs to the building, preserving and collecting, the museum finally opened to the public. In 2002, the building became designated a State and National Historic Landmark.  Today, a small committed group of volunteers is working to make history meaningful and relevant to visitors of all ages. Please join us.


Constructed in 1827, the brick building originally housed the "Low Dutch Church of Klyne Esopus".  The congregation disbanded in 1965 at which time community members worked tirelessly to save the building. In 2002, the building was designated a National Historic Landmark because of its unique architectural style. Today, the building is in need of repair and the property is in need of some improvements to achieve the goal of creating a facility that is open all year to community members and visitors alike. We hope you will help us by making a contribution. No amount is too small. Thank you in advance for your support.


Repaint the Exterior Walls

Completed 2019 ($12,000)

Repair Termite Damage

Estimated $8,000

During some renovations inside the building in 2018, termite damage was discovered.  The affected areas seem to primarily be in the floor along the north wall as well as in the south wall.

Window Work 2018 2.jpg

Repair the Windows

Estimated $10,000

In 2018, the exterior of all the windows were re-glazed and painted.  At that time, it was not possible to do the inside due to lack of funds. The windows need to be done on the interior and we would also like to install a removable interior storm window. The new storm windows would turn the current single-pane windows into double pane windows and would filter out UV light that is damaging to the collections.

New Heated Restrooms

Estimated $25k

Since 1986, when the museum opened, there has been one, seasonal restroom.  In order to grow into a year-round, state-of-the-art research facility & visitor center, it is vital that we construct new, weatherized and climate-controlled restrooms.  This will require extending the septic and water lines, constructing a new building - each with multiple toilets - and with proper heating, cooling and ventilation to keep the building comfortable all year long.


Construct a Pavilion

Estimated $10k

The museum has been very limited in the hosting of larger events and programs.  Each year, volunteers put up a number canopies for outdoor events. A permanent pavilion located on the grounds of the property to the north of the museum would weather-proof museum activities and provide rental income.

Board of Trustees

Louis Timperio


Edward Milhaven

Vice President

Sue Goodwin

2nd Vice President

Essi Zahedi


Susan Hayes

Recording Secretary

Zemar G. Gonzalez

Corresponding Secretary

David Longendyke


Catherine Quick


Joe Famiglietti


Joanne Steele


Vinnie Morano Jr.


bottom of page